Managing social media
Those of us who have been in public relations and marketing for a long time have heard these requests from clients come and go: We need a brochure. We need a press release. We need a website.
The latest appears to be: We need a social media presence.
While use of social media makes perfect sense for consumer brands and B-to-C companies, it can also make sense for B-to-B companies if implemented as part of a global content/online marketing strategy. Research indicates that nine in 10 B-to-B companies market content online, and social media can definitely play a part depending on what the initiative is.
We advise our clients to develop an overall social media strategy. Otherwise, posts, likes, shares, tweets and retweets are just random communications that lack a larger context.
Before we undertake the steps necessary to help a client set up Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest, etc., accounts, we ask them a series of questions that will help in the formation of a social media strategy. Here are few examples.
- Is your target audience using social media? Will you be able to reach them through social media?
- What do you want your social media posts to achieve? Reinforce your brand? Reward your followers with freebies or specials? Position your company as subject matter experts? Pass along information such as facts and tips?
- Is social media integrated into your larger marketing campaign? It is critical for messaging to be consistent across all platforms.
- Who will be managing your social media accounts? How many people will have access? Will it be controlled internally, or do you want us to help manage your social media presence?
- Can we help you determine a schedule for frequency of posts? Various programs will let you schedule posts ahead of time.
- Do you have different tactics for different social media channels in order to optimize the features and advantages of each?
- Do you need help developing content? We have compiled lists of “evergreen” posts for various clients and spread them out throughout the year.
Our experience with clients such as Band Together, Atlantic Tire and Service, SearStone, FLD and eyecarecenter has shown that strategic and consistent messaging through social media can help organizations meet their objectives. The key is to provide good, shareable information that informs or adds value, and can aid search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM).
To discover how S&A Cherokee can help with your social media needs, contact us for a free consultation at (919) 674-6020.